Saturday, November 28, 2015

Film review: 'Trumbo' - two thumbs up, way up

Since seeing the film Trumbo last night, I've read several reviews of this film which are somewhat negative, and I must say that I don't understand those reviews at all. I wonder if perhaps they are reacting to seeing some film idols of yore, such as John Wayne, portrayed in a not-so-flattering light. Something hidden is causing those bad reviews; I didn't see any justification for them. In fact, I think this is one of the best films I've seen this year--and it's been a better-than-usual year for films in recent months, so that's saying a lot.  And I don't want to tell you much about it for fear of ruining it for you.

Suffice it to say that, by the end of the film, the audience was dead silent, entranced, and it was clear that the meaning of the film encompassed more than just the dilemma over communism that had occurred in American society--it reached the dilemma of all those caught up in the horrors of World War II, who so often had to balance survival against human decency.  Few of us know how we would react if placed in similar circumstances--and there is the true power of this film.

Hey, don't just take my word for it.  Kirk Douglas gives it 2 thumbs up, in all its offbeat aspects, including the parrot he once gifted to Dalton Trumbo.  "It's a very good film," 98-year-old Douglas is quoted as saying, "and its spirit is true to the man I admired." 

The film Trumbo is showing at both the Princeton Garden Theater and in Montgomery. Go if you can! Bryan Cranston, with his gnarly face in the lead role, manages to portray both the heartbreaking and hilarious aspects of the situation. Bonus: you get to see Helen Mirren playing a Very Nasty Person (for a change).
  

No comments:

Post a Comment